Reporter, The Academic Times
The Academic Times, published by Fasinform, Inc., is looking for science reporters to help cover new ideas and theories in biology, chemistry and physics.
We’re rolling out our breaking news coverage of scientific progress. For each academic discipline, we intend to hire reporters to write articles with news and analysis, illustrated by charts and tables.
Subscribers will receive newsletters with the latest discoveries and innovations in each academic discipline. We plan to make money by charging a subscription fee for access to our intelligence.
Our goal is to hire two reporters every month. We are extremely selective. There’s no beating around the bush: Our reporters have to be smart. They have to be curious about a lot of things, be able to absorb complex information, recognize interesting and important patterns and trends, and write about their discoveries in a way that readers find exciting and interesting.
To be considered for the job as reporter, you'll need to take a test. There are no exceptions. If we're interested in working with you, we'll send you an invitation to take the test. You'll be able to pick a four-hour window of time to take the test. Our recruiting coordinator will work with you, within reason, to find a time that's convenient to you.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who's eager to grow and get challenged as a journalism professional. We are a well funded startup with ambitious growth plans. Although we're based in New York, we are looking for people who are able to work remotely. Yes, you can work from home. And yes, you'll get health insurance and other great benefits and plenty of time off.
- Review recently published research for interesting findings
- Interview scholars and experts
- Submit at least one article per day
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in science and discovery
- Ability to see the bigger picture and provide original, thoughtful takes on breaking news
- Strong news judgment and writing skills
- Ability to produce clean copy quickly and meet deadlines
- At least one year of full-time news reporting experience, preferably with daily writing assignments; exceptions may be allowed for anyone with a track record of regularly published writing
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
Please send resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fastinform is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and seek to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive.